Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Repurposing Old Greeting Cards

Okay, so I am a bit of a packrat, but only with some things.  I usually can't part with greeting cards.  I guess because I like the sentiment but also they cost so much, I feel guilty in a sense just tossing them in the garbage.  

We bought our home almost 13 years ago and we have been married for 11 1/2 years and I still had all my "Congrats on the New Home" and "Wedding Shower" and "Wedding" cards.  I had all of the boys shower and birth Congrats cards.   I had sorted thru about 5 years ago so I had only birthday and general occasion greeting cards from the past 5 years or so. 

Well, I decided to get rid of an oversized TV armoire that no longer housed our TV, but was serving as a storage cabinet for board games, photo albums, keepsakes and of course the greeting cards.  So in getting rid of that, I was faced with the task of cleaning stuff out.  I secretly love projects like this.  I had some games and other things for donation which was good.  I gave the task to the boys of finding all the missing pieces to games and puzzles and then we re-organized them in the closet had built in a few years ago. 

Then I went thru all the keepsakes and photo boxes.  I now have one for each of us, filled with keepsakes, photos, baby items, and few special cards and notes, etc.

 
Then came the cards!  I found that I could donate card fronts only of non Ha!!mark and Amer!can Greetings to St. Judes Ranch.  Then I had a whole bunch left after that.  So I posted the name brand ones on Freecycle.   A very friendly, kind lady took them for her Girl Scout troop.  They were going to be using them to do a craft with senior citizens.  I recycled the ones we couldn't find a home for and all the cardbacks (better than ending up in a landfill somewhere!) and I kept some for my bookmark projects. 
 
 




 
Recycled Cards make great bookmarks!  Twice I have gone into my son's school and we made bookmarks.  The kids love it and so do I.  It is very relaxing for me personally to make paper crafts.
 

 
And this was the last craft I made with the old cards.   I had saved many Easter cards and also both my boys had received Baby's First Easter cards.   I cut all the images out and arranged them on a foam core board to make a wreath.  I love how it came out and the boys loved seeing all the cute spring images of bunnies and chicks.  

 
All in all, it was a big project, but it is done now and moving onto other things.  Next up is to try and downsize my scrapbooking supplies some more. 
 
 

1 comment:

StarvingBitch said...

Nicely done my friend! Cleaning out clutter is totally cathartic and I was going to say, you could always make a sort of photo box with some cards and a picture of your first house with the "Congrats on your new home" or same with the kids.